Saturday, December 30, 2017

Big Bowl of YUM!


Yesterday I was thumbing thru Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen Cookbook and came across her recipe for Chickpea Spinach Stew with Lentils and Quinoa.  This YUM Dish - as I like to call it - is inspired by that recipe - yet still pretty altered so I think it's okay if I share with you what I did for my version.  This is packed with LOTS of stuff and has more ingredients than I usually use in one recipe but I think it turned out wonderful and I can't want to make another version VERY SOON!  This is a complete meal in itself that is for sure.  I made a HUGE batch and have gotten 3 meals out of it and even tried some of it in tacos - just for the heck of it - and am LOVING it!

1 t Coconut Oil
1 t Garam Masala
1/4 t each of Cinnamon, Cumin, Smoked Paprika
Knob of Ginger
2 t Minced Garlic
1 t Onion Powder
2 Large Tomatoes
1 Can of Diced Tomatoes in Green Chilies 
1 Package Frozen Spinach (Roughly a Pound)
2 t Apple Cider Vinegar
2 C Water
1 t Black Sea Salt (or to taste)
1 T Raw Cane Sugar
1 T Maple Syrup
2 T Lemon Juice
1/4 C Almond Milk
1 Handful Cashews
1 Can Chickpeas
1/3 C Red Lentils
1/3 C Couscous
1/3 C Super Grains*

The Super Grains I used were equal parts White Quinoa, Red Quinoa, Millet, and Buckwheat.

In other news...I spent all day at home today.  The weather is still crappy.  It's still snowing.  It's still very cold.  The roads are ICY.  While at home all day I spent much of it cleaning.  Years ago I totally re-did a room in our house and converted into a craft room.  Long story short but I got out of crafting because of a few nasty people ruining my love for it online.  It's become a CATCH ALL type of room and it was beyond BAD.  Today I finally started hoeing it out.  It's still going to take a while to complete.  My goal is to still have it as a Craft Room and I hope to get back into crafting BUT different kind of crafts.  I would also like it to double as a Yoga Room.  

As for what I can see myself doing in terms of crafting is VISION BOARDS and for yoga I want to work on YOGA for PAIN.  More on the progress of these two mini goals down the road.

24 comments:

  1. It sounds so very cold there. We are sweltering here in hot and humid heat.
    I hate having to clean out rooms until I get started on it, then I love it! There is something so nice and cathartic about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I hate it from beginning to end. hahahaha! I spent another day today going thru it and still not done.

      Delete
  2. Wowwwww!!!! With that long list of ingredients, it can't possibly be anything else but YUMMMM!!! Happy New Year to you and your loved ones. Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you and yours as well! Thanks so much on the feedback for this dish! I think it makes a great base and many things can be done with it - that is for sure! I can't wait to try Cauliflower, Carrots, and Green Beans in one as well!

      Delete
  3. That dish looks so good -- yum indeed! :) Good luck cleaning out the room; it sounds like it will be a nice creative and healing space for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will be! I need to focus on de-stressing in the New Year!

      Delete
  4. Looks delicious - hope you have a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have a great New Year, too! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  5. Yesterday was a cleaning day clearly! It was snowy here, only an inch but the roads were icey. We had a new hutch delivered (my father in law built it!) and we spent the afternoon shuffling things around in the kitchen. There is now so much counter space! I can't wait to see your crafting projects, I've always been too lazy for vision boards. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky you only have about an inch! But I agree...regardless of how much snow that cold is brutal! Your new hutch sounds cool! So neat that your FIL built it! My kitchen is another room I need to rip thru...OYE...not looking forward to that either...sigh...

      Delete
  6. It looks great, a bowl full of goodies with fantastic flavors. Happy New Year, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback on this dish! And Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete
  7. Yikes on the cold, hang in there! I would not want to drive on icy roads either. But getting stuff done at home is great too, our home office has become a catch all room that I need to work on. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ready to go back to work - this cleaning stuff is for the birds! LOL

      Delete
  8. It definitely sounds yum! And happy new year Jennifer - may it be a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope 2018 is better than 2017 that is for sure! Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete
  9. Yeah that does sound yummy! Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see why you call it a big bowl of yum - so many gorgeous ingredients in there. I hope you get to do more crafting soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have been working on some Mandalas actually! I will post it when I'm done. I'm working on it a little at a time.

      Delete
  11. Happy New Year! Definitely a big bowl of yum! That looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete